- Identify emerging leaders in the club.
- Encourage them to develop skills by delegating responsibilities.
- Support them when they express interest in running for an office.
- Welcome your successor as part of the leadership team and help him or her gradually assume the new role.
- Look for opportunities to mentor your successor.
- Use the club board of directors as training ground for future leaders.
Great leaders set up their successors for even greater successes.
—Jim Collins, Good to Great