Your story may be edited for length, grammar or style. Your photographs may be cropped for size, clarity or style. All submissions are reviewed before going live on the public site and, therefore, may not be available immediately. We cannot publish foul or derogatory language, photographs or references regarding race, religion, gender, etc. Your submission will not be made public if it doesn’t meet our criteria for appropriate submission. Kiwanis International is not able to provide feedback on stories or photographs, accepted or rejected.
To comply with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), we do not collect information from children under the age of 13. You must be 13 or older to submit your story and/or photographs. If you are age 18 or younger, you must have the permission of your parent or guardian to complete your submission.
Kiwanis International reviews and prefers stories between 200 and 500 words.
Story type and themes
Kiwanis International publishes personal accounts and anecdotes on all topics from people all over the world. Examples of what we’re looking for can be found in the KIWANIS magazine or in our Kiwanis stories section of this site.
When writing about or photographing others, please state explicitly in your submission to us that you have obtained permission from those in the story or photograph. You must state that this is your own work and the story is true. You are liable for the content.
You give Kiwanis International the nonexclusive right to use your story or photograph, while Kiwanis International retains the exclusive right to use the story or photograph and any other submissions in a multi-author platform, communications or promotional vehicles.
Anyone may submit his or her story or photograph online, but all stories must be in English or translated into English before submission.
Photo upload guidelines
Kiwanis International wants to utilize the best of your photographs. Just like any professional photographer, you need to be accurate and complete with information about the photo(s).
By uploading a photo, you certify that you own the photo or have the right to permit Kiwanis International and Kiwanis-family programs to use and publish this image, and that you understand that all photographs submitted to Kiwanis International may be published, used or distributed in print, electronic and other media. Kiwanis International reserves the right to reject any photograph.
Please keep in mind:
- We need the date the photo was taken, location, name of event, accurate spelling of people’s names (left to right) in the photo and their hometowns or club names.
- Any extra reporting on the event (such as an award honoree or beneficiary) would be useful even if that person isn’t in the photograph.
- Photos should be sent in an electronic format as a jpeg file, preferably smaller than 500k.
- Photos for the online story-sharing virtual library or image gallery should be a minimum of 72 dpi for optimal onscreen viewing.
- Images larger than the maximum preferred size for onscreen viewing will be automatically resized and formatted for you.
- Please save your original image for potential use in our print magazine! Photos chosen for print publication or showcasing in other online promotions will need to be higher resolution and larger physical size: a minimum of 4 inches x 5 inches and 300 dpi (dots per inch). This is typically the highest resolution setting on most digital cameras (at least an 1800 megapixel resolution). If in doubt, it’s best to set your camera to the highest resolution available.
- Photos at less than 300 dpi resolution and smaller than 4 inches x 5 inches may not be acceptable for print publication or showcase spots on the websites.
- DO NOT send original photographs through the mail without solicitation as we cannot assure their return or safety.
- Keep it in focus. Use the appropriate camera setting and lighting.
- Avoid poses such as check acceptances, podium speakers and groups standing in line or stacked rows. If you’re shooting a service project, look for an action photo of the volunteers in progress or interacting with children. We are not likely to use an action shot with mostly backs or backs of heads.
- Strive for identifiable faces, though they do not have to be facing forward entirely. Side shots of faces are okay if there is a mix of forward and side shots. The most important factor is facial expression; look for happy, positive, excited, surprised or content faces.
- Don’t overload the photo with too many people unless it’s an intended crowd shot. We are unlikely to use landscape shots with no people, however.
- We also need your contact name, telephone number and e-mail address. We may have a question under deadline and need to contact you.
Consent/media release statement
In order for us to add your story and/or photographs to our website(s), we must receive your acceptance to this consent/media release statement:
- I certify that I am the author or sole owner of the material I am submitting to Kiwanis International. Kiwanis International and its licensees may reproduce, distribute, publish, display, edit, modify, create derivative works and otherwise use the material for any purpose in any form and on any media.
- I agree to indemnify Kiwanis International for all damages and expenses that may be incurred in connection with this material.
- I also have reviewed the Kiwanis International Submission Guidelines and User Agreement.
- I hereby transfer and grant to Kiwanis International the exclusive right to use and to authorize others to use all or any part of my (his/her) story/interview/photograph/video/audio or film likeness, regardless of the medium by which it is recorded.
- I also hereby transfer and grant to Kiwanis International the exclusive right to use and authorize others to use all or any part of my (his/her) story/interview/photograph/video/audio or film likeness in related media such as books, magazines, journals, pamphlets, Internet and other written and video and audio formats for the purposes of promotion, education, news media, Internet and other purposes.
- I also hereby release Kiwanis International and its board, members, trustees, officers, employees and agents from any and all claims, demands, causes of action and suits, including, but not limited to, claims for invasion of privacy, defamation, breach of contract or other breach of duty arising out of or in connection with the use of this story/interview/photograph/video/audio or film likeness.
- I certify that the submissions are my own work and I have full permission to use, submit, alter or publish them.
- I certify that the story or pictorial is true and I am liable for the content.
- I understand that if I am age 13 or younger, my submissions are prohibited.
- I certify that if I am age 18 or younger, I have the permission of my parent or guardian in making this submission.
Kiwanis International is committed to protecting your privacy. We will never share your contact information with third parties.
- Kiwanis International (“kiwanis.org”) and its affiliate program sites (the “sites”) are accessible worldwide to anyone with Internet access. Access to and use of kiwanis.org and the sites are subject to the terms and conditions of this User Agreement and Copyright Notice and all applicable laws and regulations, including laws and regulations governing copyright and trademark. BY ACCESSING KIWANIS.ORG AND THE SITES, YOU ACCEPT, WITHOUT LIMITATION OR QUALIFICATION, ALL OF THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS IN THIS USER AGREEMENT. Kiwanis International and its programs reserve the right to change these terms and conditions at any time. The changes will appear on this screen. By using kiwanis.org and the sites, you agree in advance to accept any changes.
- The materials used and displayed on kiwanis.org and the sites, including but not limited to text; software; photographs; graphics; illustrations and artwork; video; music and sound; and names, logos, trademarks, and service marks are the property of kiwanis.org or its programs or licensors and are protected by copyright, trademark and other laws. Any such content may be displayed solely for your personal, noncommercial use. You agree not to modify, reproduce, retransmit, distribute, disseminate, sell, publish, broadcast or circulate any such material without the written permission of kiwanis.org or the appropriate program.
Kiwanis.org and the sites contain information, facts and opinions from various individuals and organizations. KIWANIS.ORG AND THE SITES ARE PROVIDED ON AN "AS-IS" BASIS WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF TITLE OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OTHER THAN THOSE WARRANTIES WHICH ARE IMPOSED BY AND INCAPABLE OF EXCLUSION, RESTRICTION, OR MODIFICATION UNDER THE LAWS APPLICABLE TO THIS AGREEMENT. NEITHER GENERAL INTERNET, INC., OR ITS AFFILIATES ENDORSE OR ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ACCURACY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY OPINION, ADVICE OR STATEMENT ON KIWANIS.ORG OR THE SITES. ACCURACY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY OPINION, ADVICE OR STATEMENT ON KIWANIS.ORG OR THE SITES.
- Kiwanis.org and the sites may include bulletin boards, chat rooms and other user- and member-created pages, which allow you and other users and members to post information and materials, provide feedback to Kiwanis International and its programs, and interact in real-time. You agree that Kiwanis International and its licensees may reproduce, distribute, publish, display, edit, modify, create derivative works and otherwise use all information, text, messages, photographs, member or display name and other materials posted by you (collectively, the "materials") for any purpose in any form and on any media. You agree not to post or transmit any unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful, racially, ethically or otherwise objectionable materials of any kind, including but not limited to, any materials which encourages conduct that would constitute a criminal offense; violate the copyrights, trademarks, services marks, or similar intellectual property rights or other rights, including invasion of privacy or rights of publicity, of others. You will be responsible for, and indemnify and hold harmless Kiwanis International, its subsidiaries, divisions, districts, programs, trustees, board, agents and representatives against any claim arising from any materials you post or transmit.
Although kiwanis.org and its programs may from time to time monitor or review discussions, chats, postings, transmissions, bulletin boards and other user- and member-generated pages on the sites, neither Kiwanis International nor its programs is under any obligation to do so. You acknowledge that Kiwanis International and its programs do not control the information available on the bulletin boards, chat rooms and other user- and member-generated pages and that any opinions, advice, statements, services, offers or other information or content presented or disseminated on any bulletin board, chat room or on any other user- or member-generated pages are those of their respective authors who are solely liable for their content. Kiwanis International and its programs reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to edit, refuse to post or remove any material submitted to or posted on the chat rooms, bulletin boards or on any other user- or member-generated pages.
- Your use of kiwanis.org and the sites is at your own risk. NEITHER KIWANIS.ORG, KIWANIS INTERNATIONAL, OR ANY OF ITS SUBSIDIARIES, DIVISIONS, DISTRICTS, PROGRAMS, AGENTS, REPRESENTATIVES, OR LICENSORS SHALL BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANYONE ELSE FOR ANY LOSS OR INJURY OR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE, OR SIMILAR DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF YOUR ACCESS OR USE OF, OR YOUR INABILITY TO ACCESS OR USE, KIWANIS.ORG AND THE SITES AND THE INFORMATION AVAILABLE ON KIWANIS.ORG AND THE SITES OR ARISING OUT OF ANY ACTION TAKEN IN RESPONSE TO OR AS A RESULT OF ANY INFORMATION AVAILABLE ON KIWANIS.ORG AND THE SITES. YOU HEREBY WAIVE ANY AND ALL CLAIMS AGAINST KIWANIS.ORG, OR KIWANIS INTERNATIONAL AND ITS SUBSIDIARIES, DIVISIONS, DISTRICTS, PROGRAMS, AGENTS, REPRESENTATIVES AND LICENSORS ARISING OUT OF YOUR USE OF KIWANIS.ORG AND THE SITES AND THE INFORMATION AVAILABLE THEREON.
- You should be aware that if you voluntarily disclose personal information (e.g., user name, e-mail address) on a bulletin board, chat room or on any other user- or member-generated pages, that information can be collected and used by others and may result in unsolicited messages from other parties.
- KIWANIS.ORG’S TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR PODCASTS
Kiwanis.org’s podcasting service (the “podcast service”) consists of news and information files (the “podcast content”) that may be downloaded to your computer and/or transferred to your portable MP3 player. The podcast service is available only for private, noncommercial use. Any other uses, including without limitation the incorporation of advertising into or the placement of advertising associated with or targeted toward the podcast content, are strictly prohibited. You may not edit or modify or redistribute the podcast content or links supplied by kiwanis.org. Ownership: Kiwanis.org’s podcast service and the podcast content are protected by US and international copyright laws. Kiwanis.org owns all rights including copyright to the podcast content, and to Kiwanis International logos and trademarks used in connection with the podcast service. Right to Discontinue Podcast Service: Kiwanis.org reserves the right to discontinue providing any or all of the podcast service at any time and to require you to cease displaying, distributing or otherwise using any or all of the podcast content for any reason including, without limitation, your violation of any provision of this User Agreement. Kiwanis.org assumes no liability for any of your activities in connection with the podcast content and/or the podcast service or for your use of the podcast content and/or the podcast service in connection with your website, computer or MP3 player.
- This User Agreement and any disputes arising out of or related to Kiwanis International, kiwanis.org, and the sites shall be governed by, and construed and enforced in accordance with, the laws of the State of Indiana.