In the United States, Kiwanis clubs are required to file one of three Form 990 reports.
- Small, tax-exempt organizations whose gross receipts normally are US$50,000 or less are required to file the IRS’ electronic postcard Form 990-N.
- Those whose gross receipts normally exceed US$50,000 to US$200,000 are required to file Form 990-EZ.
- Those with gross receipts greater than $200,000 must file Form 990.
It’s easy to file your club’s Form 990, but here are a few tips:
- Find your club’s status on the irs.gov or the Urban Institute’s National Center for Charitable Statistics website.
- Click on your state.
- Put “Kiwanis” in the “Name” field.
- Do not fill out the “Location” field.
- Select “All Organizations” in the “Organization Type” field.
- Check the “Limit to organizations in danger of revocation” box.
Do not fill out the “NTEE purpose/activity code.”
- Click submit.
The IRS website also includes a helpful collection of tools and resources. Kiwanis International does not have records of your club’s IRS history, but you can contact the Kiwanis International Office’s Finance Department by email at email@example.com or call 800-549-2647, ext. 153 or 146.