Take a look at Kiwanis’ position on bullying and hazing. Read how Kiwanis service leadership programs can help solve the problem. Then help members of Kiwanis service leadership programs spread the message in your community. Check out the quick links on the right side of this page for posters and other resources you can use to help youth make their school a bully-free zone.
Kiwanis International believes:
- That service clubs, such as Kiwanis’ service-leadership programs, can be a solution to the bullying crisis faced by so many educational institutions today.
- That these service clubs have something to offer the potential target of bullying, in that he or she can use the vehicle of service to develop self-worth, confidence and leadership.
- That these service clubs have something to offer the potential perpetrator of bullying, in that he or she can use the vehicle of service to learn the power of kindness, generosity and positive purpose.
- That these service clubs have something to offer the potential bystander, in that he or she will learn that when one commits to serving others, doing nothing is no longer an option.
- That these service clubs have something to offer the schools, in that they contribute to a climate of giving, caring and acceptance.
- That education, expectations and oversight can ensure that our programs remain free from bullying.
- That our youth members should be leaders, through example and action, against bullying in their schools and communities, and work with trusted adults to bring about an end to this enduring problem.
Hazing is a form of bullying found in some membership organizations. During hazing, members of an organization require potential or new members to do acts or receive treatment that makes them uncomfortable or could potentially cause emotional or physical harm.
- That hazing is a form of bullying and should never be tolerated in any Kiwanis-sponsored program.
- That hazing or bullying, if discovered, should be confronted. All current Kiwanis policies and appropriate state laws will be observed.